Monday, February 15, 2010

Red light

It's not every day that an old George Clinton song percolates up from the primordial ooze of my brain but today one did. I guess you have to be pretty old (or very funky) to remember "Flashlight." As a purveyor of music during the 70s and 80s, I got a serious case of Da Funk back then courtesy of Mr. Clinton and the whole P-Funk machine and it never really went away.

But the reason for the emergence of this song was what I have noticed to be a serious RED GREEN colorblindness in this town. Waiting for the light to change at the intersection of Holden and Friendly this morning; watching the pedestrian countdown go to zero, I made a prediction that at least one car would run the red light. I wasn't even close---three did. Normally I would see this as a recipe for disaster but in Greensboro, nobody notices when the light turns green either so somehow it all evens out. Maybe we're all distracted by stuff or just in a God-awful hurry but whatever it is, I really wish they would bring back red light cameras because someday, somebody is going to get hurt and I hope to heck it isn't me. I'm normally the guy behind you who will beep his horn if you don't move the second the light turns green but nowadays I'll look in both directions and if oncoming cars aren't slowing down fast enough, I'll wait.

Hopefully those of you who read this and start humming "Flashlight" when you approach an intersection, be careful and remember the yellow light doesn't mean GO VERY FAST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home