Wednesday, May 14, 2008

One of those days

Did you ever have one of those days where you get up, shower, dress nicely and go to work only to find you can't do one productive thing? Take today for example.

I made it to lunchtime by reading my e-mail, answering the phone, following several links on digg, watching a couple episodes of "You Suck at Photoshop" (I really do. I have it on my computer and can do, like, 3 or 4 of the nine bazillion things you could do if you knew what the hell you were doing -which I don't) and doing some extensive research on Princess Eugenie - but only because I got her confused with big sis, Princess Beatrice. Who can keep the British Royal Family straight these days? Certainly not me.

Last night went to a discussion hosted by UNCG Prof, Charlie Headington, about the book "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. It was a very Earth Fare, Whole Foods crowd. I read most of the book and all the sex scenes (of which there are painfullyly few.) After the discussion I was hungry so I went home and cooked up a couple of hot dogs.

For a few hours today I considered changing the focus of this blog to something about food but there are already many such blogs out there and most of them seem to know more about food than I do. Plus the fact that, for lunch today I had a liverwurst sandwich on some seriously stale bread from Fresh Market and a 20oz Diet Pepsi out of the vening machine. I will probably cook dinner tonight but unless I stop at HT on the way home to get something, I will be forced to come up with a entree made from a 2 pound "chub" (why do they call it that?) of ground chuck that has been thawing in the fridge for the past couple of days and should be malleable -- wait! I HAVE to go to HT on the way home because we are down to the 4 bottles of wine that I am saving for a special occasion, whatever that might be. Need to stock up on some Oak Creek or Barefoot if it is under $5. I don't know why, if there is such a wine glut out there, I can't buy decent sulfite-free wine for under a buck.

People ask me why I don't patronize (if that's the right word) North Carolina wines. If I want this state to successfully transition from a tobacco-oriented agricultural economy to viticulture I should do my part right? I will one day. The day they make NC wines more affordable than California wines. One way to make me more interested in NC wines (yes, you know what's coming) would be for them to stop using corks and use simple to use screw tops. Heck, even wine snobs I know are getting behind the screw-top movement. So, if North Carolina wineries all banded together and agreed to use only the latest, wine-saving, screw-tops I would become an advocate for NC wines. Until then...well, I might buy the stuff if it was cheaper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home