Thursday, May 05, 2011

Cult of the Record Bar 5 years hence


Five years ago I wrote a blog "Cult of the Record Bar." It's still there if you'd care to read it. It was a piece about remembering a time of relative innocence when I was younger, listened to a lot of music and managed a record store--a job envied by countless thousands. This was also the time I got the 1500+ vinyl records that I dutifully pack and take with me when I move. These LPs represent pretty much the only interesting inheritance I will leave to my children to fight over.

Anyway, the Blog somehow shows up on the first page of Google when people search for "the Record Bar." I started getting comments--just a few at first but then lots of them as people with Record Bar connections told their friends about it. A few years later when I was getting interested in Facebook, I created a Cult of the Record Bar Group Page in Facebook. As of today there are 674 members of the group. OK, that's not a big number but I fully expect it to grow since everything I read tells me that the fastest growing group of new Facebook users are old-timers like me.

The other day the Cult page was honored when the Record Bar's former owners Barrie and Arlene Bergman joined the group and posted greetings on the wall. I have to admit I got a little giddy. I've been validated!

Many thanks to all the RB formers who wrote on the wall and posted pictures from days-gone-by. There will never again be such a thing as a record store and pretty soon video stores and maybe even book stores will go the way of the dodo as the world moves online. Look us up someday, we're in the Book ;-)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Cam Villar said...

We're with you Bob! Carry on for years to come!

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Kristen Margo Daukas said...

So, I came across your name a while ago and had the fleeting moment of "I know that name.. I know that guy! I wonder if it's the same guy?". As I was sifting thru the names of people that Google+ thought I should know today, there you were.. again. I cruise over to your blog to see if I can get any more info & solve my own mystery. Reading, reading and then BAM! Here it is.. you ARE in fact, the same Bob Paust that was the manager of Record Bar at Four Seasons Mall. Not only were you kind enough to let me do inventory for you and your team ( you have no idea how cool I thought that was as a Freshman and Sophomore in highschool) there at RB but you actually trusted me a few times to babysit your kids! Wow. I'm sure I have many more memories of you than you do of me, but I hope life has been good to you and your family and THANK YOU for letting me be part of that vinyl world called Record Bar in the 80's!!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Kristen Margo Daukas said...

Okay.. I was so excited I even managed to bash your name :( YOu're not Bob Paust, thankfully but rather Prout.. oh my.. so sorry.. sigh..the emotion and excitement is still the same, believe me.

<>

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Bill Clifton said...

Bob,
Whats Up?
William Bill Clifton here.So glad you
are keeping the memories ALIVE.I have
not seen any mention of Darwin Bond
name.All the ladies of RB were fine.
From wax to 8 tracks the Bar was so cool.Met a lot of good folks and Stars.Would like to thank Barrie,my first manager Rick Storm for hiring me.Phil Z for quitting and Giving Randy Burns the store so I would become SM at Southpark mall in 1978.The rest is history.I love and miss all you guys.Stay cool.Whats up with today's music?

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Bill Clifton said...

Bob,
Whats Up?
William Bill Clifton here.So glad you
are keeping the memories ALIVE.I have
not seen any mention of Darwin Bond
name.All the ladies of RB were fine.
From wax to 8 tracks the Bar was so cool.Met a lot of good folks and Stars.Would like to thank Barrie,my first manager Rick Storm for hiring me.Phil Z for quitting and Giving Randy Burns the store so I would become SM at Southpark mall in 1978.The rest is history.I love and miss all you guys.Stay cool.Whats up with today's music?

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home